Andrew Dlugan, at the Six Minutes blog, has been writing a detailed series on speech preparation using examples from one of his competition speeches.
Here's what the series is covering:
1. How to Prepare Your Presentation
2. Select Your Speech Topic
3. Plan Your Speech Outline
4. Writing Your First Draft
5. Editing Your Speech
6. Add Speech Impact with Rhetorical Devices
7. Staging, Gestures, and Vocal Variety
8. Practicing Your Presentation
9. Self-Critique: Preparation for Next Time
10. Winning a Toastmasters Speech Contest
He's just posted step #9. Good stuff - check it out!